Friday, August 06, 2010

A night for sleeping not slept - What souls do pets possess?

A night for sleeping not slept, as
I ponder: What souls do pets possess?


Finally, a night for sleeping
Cool and dry.
Through the window
A light breeze
Chirp chirp of a cricket
Steady low buzz of some other bug
Intent on finding a mate.

On the bed beside me,
Young dog sighs,
Nuzzles into my side
And soon snores, quiet & content.
Overhead, old dog paces,
Panting loud & steady as a racing locomotive,
And drags a hind leg from room to room.

Euthanasia, thy time has come.
No quietly slipping away while we sleep.
He's a good dog, family.
I feel like he helped raise the kids.
He cries not,
But his pain, standing, laying, rising, or climbing stairs,
Is unbearable to watch.

What souls do pets possess?
When we stare into their eyes,
Is it the infinite connection of all living things,
Or just a reflection of our own humanity,
Our longings, desires, need to be loved,
That we see?
If dogs don't go to heaven, I don't want to go.

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful, Mike. I well up when I just ponder the inevitable loss of our Branny. He's only 6 years old and healthy as can be. But I know that whenever his time comes it will be too soon and that breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete