Saturday, May 30, 2009

Gardener's Supply

I get tired of having online companies not only deciding to send me email "newsletters" because I've purchased stuff from them, but also sharing my information with other companies so those companies can send me "special offers." I never asked you for it, you never asked me if its okay

So, with Gardeners Supply, I started getting newsletters and offers from other companies using the unique email I used with them. I went to the unsubscribe links, but after, annoyed, I decided to check out their privacy policy.

If you are in the business of selling things online, it would seem that good customer relations would be prime directive. So Privacy Statements with terms such as this are really mind-boggling: "This Privacy Policy and Security Statement is part of our Terms of Use, which governs your use of gardeners. By using gardeners you agree to this Privacy Policy and Security Statement and Terms of Use."

The rest of the policy is the usually bullshit. I don't care what you do to enhance my shopping experience so long as you don't spam me or enable others to spam me. And regarding that "use our website & you agree to all this crap," can you imagine that language on a brick & mortar storefront? "By entering our store, you agree to blah blah blah."

I don't agree to shit from you. You want my business, you and your ridiculous lawyers certainly have it all backwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment