Tuesday, February 09, 2010

It's a dog's world

What do dogs think of people, when we speak to them, or when we look into each others eyes? What is the bond of dog to man?

Although we consider our pets as family members, I don't much go for the "pack" theory. Surely they know we aren't like them. And surely, too, the connection shared is not an anthropomorphic illusion, but a connection of heart & soul at some level.

Last night, I looked into the eyes of my old dog, Bruiser, who is approaching 14 years of age as well as death. He was particularly lame, tripping on falling while trying to step onto his cushioned bed. And in his eyes, cloudy and pale with age, I saw deep weariness.

On the other end of the spectrum, I was eye to eye with young Sadie as I went down the stairs to the woodstove, and again when I climbed back up. And I saw youthful exuberance.

And, in both sets of eyes, I saw love.

Dogs, humble servants, dispensing agape - sounds like they are better Christians than most of their human companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment